Friday, 1 March 2013

Welcome!


Welcome to Ancestral Road - my new blog about our family history. I’m excited and just a little bit overwhelmed to begin this project. I hope that I do a good job with it. I hope that someone reads it. I hope that some distant cousin will learn something they didn’t know about their own ancestors.

The plan is to document and share the family history information that I have discovered about my and my husband’s ancestors. We are both from the Canadian branches of our family trees. Our roots are in the United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Members of our families emigrated to Ontario Canada at various times between 1842 and 1912.

I’ve been doing research on my own family tree on and off for many years. I was lucky to have begun when I was quite young. My grandparents and some other elder relatives were still around then to get me started and answer questions. Even so, I still ended up with a small collection of photos that I have no idea who they are. There are so many things that I wish now I’d asked them. I have kept some of those early notes including the first list of questions where I asked my grandparents what their first names were. 

If you were also doing research when I began my genealogical quest, you will remember what a different world it was. Long before computers and the internet, it was a slow process. Sometimes the only way to get the details of an event was to travel to the location where it had taken place. This meant for many blanks in my research.

The past number of years have been a wonderful time to be doing family history. With more and more information becoming available online, many of my details have now been filled in leading to earlier generations. It was a much quicker process when a more in depth search was begun about 5 years ago into my husband’s family in preparation for a family reunion.

If you are a cousin of some sort, please say hello. If your own research points in a different direction than mine; I’d like to hear about that too.  If you are someone like me who has a passion for family history and you’d just like to share some thoughts, feel free to contact me as well.

4 comments:

  1. Gayle, welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I have two family history blogs -- HomeofSherlocks and MyPolishRoots -- both on blogspot. I love sharing my stories and photos! I have been contacted by some distant relatives and hope some of your relatives find you. My advice to use some of the daily prompts from Geneabloggers. It makes coming up with stories easier. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I've been a part of Geneabloggers for about a month and have found it great fun. My daughter-in-law's maternal line had roots in New France and were in Montreal for a couple of centuries, so I am interested in Canada blogging. My mother was from Scotland, so I also do a lot with the Highlands and Islands. I would like to follow your blog, but cannot find a "join" link. I'll keep checking. I may have just missed it.
    Welcome!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle, welcome; I am a new blogger too - just started last week and I am having so much fun with it. Enjoyed my visit here, look forward to seeing more. I hope you'll visit me at Family Preserves on blogspot.

    Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to GeneaBloggers! It's a wonderful community with lots of friendly and supportive fellow genealogists. By the way, I love the photo at the top of your blog. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete